Ch. Glendallo Gamblin Man, B. 1965 - D. 1971
1943 - 1993
The Collie Club of NSW, Australia, was formed in 1943 by a group of dedicated Collie exhibitors/breeders who were the foundation members of the club. Mr F Grant of Edendale Kennels was the President, Joyce O'Reilly of Carramar Kennels was Secretary, Mrs Glad Osborne of Glendallo Collies was Assistant Secretary.
The club held its first show on 16th October 1943 in the Wood-Chopping Ring at Sydney Showground, and in 1945 the club had 26 financial members. From the period 1/1/49 to 30/6/49 214 Collies were registered with the then Kennel Control.
In the late nineteen forties Mr Grant imported Eden Exporter from the UK into Australia. This dog subsequently had a large impact on our Collies. In 1951 Mr Leo Wilson (England) said of the Australian Collie: "In my opinion, progress is due to the influence of one dog, Eden Exporter. Improvement in head and eye is most noticeable, and the undesirable, round yellow eye has practically disappeared in favour of well-shaped, well-placed eyes." Two dogs sired by Exporter which also contributed to the Collie breed were Edendale Emblem and Edendale Enoch. Three other imported dogs who made a big impression on the breed were Glenlusset Superb, Carramar Comedy King and Limerick of Ladypark.
On the 10th and 11th October 1987, at St Ives Showground, the Collie Club of NSW hosted the second National Show held in Australia (the first was held in Queensland in 1985), the judge was Mr Lam Peelen from the Netherlands.
On the 10th October 1993 the club held its Golden Jubilee Show celebrating 50 years, a one day show, the Judge was Mrs Helga Kane from the USA. The BIS was Scotsdream Dirty Dancing owned by W, E & R Scott, RUBIS was Ch. Hylinden Hush Power owned by Ms M. Foord.
In July 1993, Glad Osborne passed away and in October 1994 the Glad Osborne Memorial Show was held, a fitting tribute to a person dedicated to the Collie. The Judge was Mr S Nolan of South Australia. The BIS was Ch. Cathkin Painted Black owned by Mrs. G. Jones, RUBIS was Nobleshand Natural Gold owned by R & S McMahon.
In October 2003, the club then held the Diamond Jubilee show celebrating 60 years, the judge was Mrs Eva Eriksson (Sweden) BIS was Ch. Maurville Forget Me Not owned by the late Mrs. M. Rollason, RUBIS was Craeburn Black Magic owned by Craeburn Kennels.
The weekend of the 30th and 31st May 2009 marked the occasion of the 10th National Collie Show proudly hosted by the Collie Club of NSW, in conjunction with the show the International Collie Society held their annual holiday conference. We realized that it would be a challenge for the society when we extended the invitation to them. Australia is such a long way away and being such a huge country it really requires an extended stay if one is to see anything at all. However, the invitation was enthusiastically accepted and plans that had been just a dream for us began to grind into motion, slowly at first but gathering momentum along the way. The whole concept was very exciting for Collie fanciers in the Southern hemisphere, never before had anything like this been attempted and it represented a wonderful opportunity for us to gather together with breeders from overseas, exchange ideas and discuss the one thing we all hold so dear, The Collie ! The show was a huge succes attracting an entry of 260 dogs, 59 of them being Smooths which incidentally is the biggest entry of smooths for any show in Australia. The judge Jasna Kovacevic from Croatia awarded BIS to Ch Burdekin Bossy Boots owned by Michelle Grant and bred by her mother Glenda, RUBIS was Ch Robgai Sierra Sunrise owned and bred by Robgai Kennels
These are just a few highlights in the Clubs recent history and more can seen by opening other pages of the website.
Contact: Mrs V Poole - Club Secretary